RMAP nonprofit partners are encouraging Hawaii Island residents who are at least 18 years old and lost income or work hours due to COVID-19 to prepare ahead to apply.
RMAP is funded by the County of Hawaii with Federal CARES Act dollars and will provide a rent or mortgage payment of up to $2,000 per month for an estimated 1445 households that income qualify and can prove hardship due to COVID-19 for each month they receive assistance from March 2020 to December 2020. Funding will be limited to households’ primary residence on Hawaii Island. Households will be limited to one grant of up to $2,000 per month.
Households who have been impacted by COVID-19 and have a past due rent or mortgage notice are encouraged to apply online or in person with HIHR. Persons without internet access or a computer are encouraged to call us at (808) 640-4443 for a paper application and to set up an in person appointment with a member of our staff.
To qualify for rent or mortgage assistance grants, applicants must meet the following qualifications:
- Be a Hawaii Island resident
- At least 18 years old
- Lost income or work hours due to COVID-19, and
- Current annual household income at or below 140%* of area median income for the number of members in their household. See below to see if your household income qualifies.
*This figure was increased to make the program more inclusive as of September 8, 2020.
Applicants will be required to submit the following documents with their applications to be considered for rent or mortgage assistance:
Proof of Resident and Age
- Copy of photo ID
Income Documents for ALL household members (provide all that apply)
- 30 days most recent pay stubs
- 2 months most recent business bank statements (if self-employed)
- Unemployment or Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) benefit letter
- Public benefit statements
Housing (provide 1 of the following)
- Copy of rental lease/contract
- Copy of mortgage statement
Proof of Hardship (provide 1 of the following)
- 30 days of paystubs for February 2020
- Unemployment or PUA approval letter
- Letter from employer verifying job loss or reduced work hours
- Business bank statements for January and February 2020 (if self-employed)
Housing Assistance Need (provide 1 of the following)
- Past due rent notice
- Past due mortgage notice