NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING:
Pursuant to Chapter 91, Hawaii Revised Statutes, notice is hereby given that the Hawaii Department of Agriculture (Department) will hold public hearings to receive testimony on proposed amendments to chapter 4-16, Hawaii Administrative Rules, entitled “Cattle, Sheep, and Goats.” Chapter 4-16, HAR is being amended to:
(1) Add Bison, Water Buffalo and Camelid species to the Chapter.
(2) Change definitions by:
(a) simplifying the definitions Board”, Chairperson”, “Department”, “Division Head”;
(b) amending “Official vaccinate” “State veterinarian”;
(c) adding the definitions “APHIS”, “Certificate of Veterinary Inspection” or “CVI”, “Contact”, “Entry”, “Hold order”, “Polymerase Chain Reaction” or “PCR”, “Premise”;
(d) clarifying “Carrier”, “Effects”, “Health certificate”, “Quarantine”, “Shipmaster’s Declaration” and “Vaccine;
(e) expanding the definition of “Animals”, “Domestic animals”, “Inspector”; and
(f) deleting “Premises” and “Provisional quarantine.”
(3) Add “population of animals” as a group quarantine can be applied to.
(4) Clarify movement for quarantine area feedlot and slaughterhouse.
(5) Adding regulatory jurisdiction on importations of Bison, Water Buffalo and Camelids, entry status and add plant quarantine permitting for Bison and water buffalo.
(6) Clarify ports of entry for added Bison, Water Buffalo and Camelids species.
(7) Update and clarify carrier responsibility on importation and intrastate transport by sea.
(8) Amend animal owner responsibility for use of quarantine station facilities
(9) Certificate of veterinary inspections issued in Hawaii for export is clarified.
(10) Clarify import permitting, Trichomoniasis testing is added and Certificate of veterinary inspection clarified pertaining to preshipment entry requirements
(11) Detail “Quarantine site” and “symptoms” is replaced with “signs” to correct terminology regarding post shipment entry requirements.
(12) Amend Anaplasmosis and Brucellosis testing and management.
(13) Clarify Tuberculosis control and eradication procedures and update test reactor management.
(14) Add new section for Trichomoniasis control and eradication.
(15) Add a new section covering disease investigation.
(16) Add Scrapie entry requirements and clarify entry requirements for sheep and goats.
(17) Specify the object in sheep post entry requirements by replacing “they” with “animals”
(18) Add “camelids” to “goats” in subchapter 4.
(19) Specify ectoparasite treatment, replace “health certificate” with “Certificate of Veterinary Inspection” for clarity, and add “official USDA” to “eartag” to specify acceptable tags in preshipment entry requirements for goats.
(20) Other changes are proposed throughout Chapter 4-16 for clarity. simplification or to correct format, grammar and punctuation. (Refer to Exhibit A for summary of proposed changes.)
The schedule of public hearings on the proposed rules is as follows:
May 9, 2022, at 10:00 a.m. Department of Agriculture Conference Room 4398A Pua Loke Street, Lihue, Kauai
May 10, 2022, at 10:00 a.m. Department of Agriculture, Plant Quarantine Conference Room 1849 Auiki Street, Honolulu, Oahu (This hearing will also be on Zoom. Access to the zoom link for the hearing will be available at hdoa.hawaii.gov/ch16ar on May 10, 2022. Please click on the meeting link that will be posted on this site on May 10, 2022.
May 11, 2022, at 10:00 a.m. Department of Agriculture Conference Room 635 Mua Street, Kahului, Maui
May 12, 2022, at 10:00 a.m. Kona Civic Center Conference Room 82-6130 Mamalahoa Hwy., Bldg. 2 Capt. Cook, Hawaii May 13, 2022, at 10:00 a.m. State Office Building, Conference Room C 75 Aupuni Street, Hilo, Hawaii
All interested parties are urged to attend the hearings and submit comments or testimony orally or in writing. Copies of the proposed rules may be reviewed by accessing the Department’s website at www.hawaii.gov/hdoa/Info/proposedrules or in person, Monday through Friday (excluding holidays) from 7:45 a.m. until 4:15 p.m., at the following Department of Agriculture offices:
Oahu 99-941 Halawa Valley Street, Aiea, HI 96701 (Phone — 483-7100)
1428 South King Street, Honolulu, HI 96814 (Phone — 483-7100)
Kauai 4398A Pua Loke Street, Lihue, HI 96766 (Phone – 241-7138)
Maui 635 Mua Street, Kahului, HI 96732 (Phone – 873-3555)
Hawaii 16E Lanikaula, Hilo, HI 96720 (Phone – 974-4140)
66-1220 Lalamilo Hmstd. Road B, Kamuela, HI 96743 (Phone – 887-6059)
Copies of the proposed rules may also be obtained at the above offices by paying a fee for photocopying or may be sent by mail to any person who requests a copy upon receipt of a fee for photocopying and postage. Requests for mailed copies of proposed rules should be sent in writing to Department of Agriculture or by calling (808) 483-7100.
The Department of Agriculture will also accept written testimony, which must be received by May 20, 2022 at the Department of Agriculture, 1428 South King St., Honolulu, HI 96814-2512 or via e-mail to HDOA.BOARD.TESTIMONY@HAWAII.GOV
Special accommodations, such as sign language interpretation, large printing, taped materials, and accessible parking, can be provided if requested at least ten (10) business days prior to the scheduled hearing. This request may be made in writing to one of the addresses listed above or by calling (808) 483-7100.