The U.S. Department of Agriculture Rural Development Agency is accepting applications for grants to help agricultural producers and small rural businesses develop and market new products. Grants may be used to develop new products from raw agricultural products or to promote new markets for established products. Veterans, socially-disadvantaged groups, beginning farmers and ranchers, operators of small- and medium-sized family farms and ranches, and farmer and rancher cooperatives are given special priority.
- Deadline to apply: March 22, 2021
- Maximum award:
- Planning Grants – $75,000
- Working Capital Grants – $250,000
- Project Period: Up to 36 months
- Matching Fund Requirement: At least $1 in matching funds for every $1 of USDA grant funds.
- Anticipated Award Date: September 30, 2021
Grant and matching funds can be used for planning activities or for working capital expenses related to producing and marketing a value-added agricultural product. Examples of planning activities include conducting feasibility studies and developing business plans for processing and marketing the proposed value-added product. Examples of working capital expenses include:
- Processing costs.
- Marketing and advertising expenses.
- Some inventory and salary expenses.
Contact USDA Rural Development with any questions at:
Federal Building, Room 311
154 Waianuenue Avenue
Hilo, HI 96720
Voice: (808) 933-8301
Fax: (855) 878-2460