A routine traffic stop resulted in an Ocean View man being arrested and charged for auto theft and multiple drug offenses.
On Tuesday, May 30, 2023, Area II Traffic Enforcement Unit officers conducted a traffic stop on a vehicle after observing the driver, later identified as 42-year-old Daniel Lemaire, was not wearing a seat belt.
During the traffic stop, it was discovered that the vehicle had previously been reported stolen from the Kailua-Kona area. Lemaire was arrested and the vehicle was recovered.
In the course of the investigation, detectives with the Area II Criminal Investigations Section drafted and executed a search warrant on the vehicle and recovered 6.0 grams of methamphetamine, 24.6 grams of marijuana, and associated drug paraphernalia.
On Wednesday evening, May 31, 2023, after conferring with the County Prosecutor’s Office, detectives charged Lemaire with the following offenses:
• Unauthorized Control of a Propelled Vehicle
• Driving Without a Driver’s License
• No Motor Vehicle Insurance Policy
• Promotion of a Dangerous Drug II
• Promotion of a Dangerous Drug III
• Promotion of a Detrimental Drug III
• Prohibited Acts Related to Drug Paraphernalia
His bail was set at $7,500.
Lemaire remained in police custody until his initial court appearance on Thursday, June 1, 2023, in Kona District Court.